Sunday, September 8, 2013

Student Teaching Week of 9/6/2013

This week I finally began taking over classrooms.  I have three sections of Sophomore LA 2 and one section of Freshmen LA 1.  I think for the most part the lessons went alright.  With the Freshmen I was pretty good about making sure to run my classroom from bell to bell.  The Sophomore classes on the other hand were kind of hit or miss.  With the Sophomores on two of the days I had so much that I wanted to cover that we barely fit everything in.  The other two days I finished a little early and had to make the decision whether or not to go into new material.  I chose not to and after conversing with my CT she seemed to feel I made the right choice. 

I gave a few presentations, or direct instruction lessons, this week and I feel like everything went alright, but in the future I want to either do less lessons of this nature, or find ways to shorten them down a bit.  The students just look so bored sometimes.  I feel bad.  I do my best to keep the material light and even try to throw in some fun video clips, but it seems no matter what some students are bored out of their skulls.

I think that group work activities will be one of my biggest challenges this semester.  Every time the students are doing group work they always find ways to get of track.  Now it's not so bad that work isn't getting accomplished.  It's just challenging as it seems I need to grow eyes in the back of my head.  Well we shall see what the next week brings.

No comments:

Post a Comment