Monday, September 23, 2013

Student Teaching Week of 9/20/13

The word of the day is busy.  This past week I took over the last of my classes.  I am finally teaching six classes in total and it is hectic.  Don't get me wrong; I enjoy what I am doing, but all this work combined with everything I have to do for the college side of things is a bit overwhelming.

So what did I do this week?  My first three sections of sophomores finished working on their character sketches.  I was amazed at the speed with which some students typed and then how slow many others could be.  I'm not knocking the students, but I thought this was the technology generation.  I had to basically teach an entire lesson on how to make an attachment to an email, so the students can save their typing.  Many of the kids got it, but others had trouble.  I would figure that this is something that students would know coming out of K-8.  When I subbed at Bayless the fourth graders knew how to make power points.  How can students understand power point, but now how to attach an email?  It baffles me.

The freshmen finished up their "Most Dangerous Game" setting maps.  Over the weekend I got them graded.  The maps turned out pretty well.

One thing that really is overwhelming is all that goes into grading.  I just cannot believe some times how long the process takes.  I think on Sunday I spend a good six hours working on grading and then getting all my grades put into my online grade book!

No comments:

Post a Comment